What is Graphic Design?
Graphic design is a professional field that involves planning and creating visual content using elements such as typography, colours, photographs, illustrations, and images to communicate inspiring and informative ideas and messages to the target audience.
Graphic Design is utilized in creating logos, designing ads for newspapers and magazines, product packaging, OOH, signage, digital content, websites digital ads, etc. Following are the different types of Graphic Designs:
- Visual identity graphic design
- User interface graphic design
- Motion graphic design
- Publication graphic design
- Packaging graphic design
- Marketing & advertising graphic design
- Environmental graphic design
- Art and illustration
Role and responsibility of a graphic designer:
- Meet the client or the Creative director to understand the required scope for a project
- Utilizing your creativity, digital illustration, and photo editing software to craft various design layouts, logos, etc. that help deliver the desired messages to the target audience
- Design layouts and present the concepts to clients as well as art directors
- Basis the client or creative director’s feedback, incorporate changes into final designs
- Before printing or publishing the designs, he is required to review them for errors
Key skills required:
- Analytical skills: Graphic designers must be able to analyze their designs from the point of view of consumers such that they develop apt designs that effectively communicate the desired message to the consumer.
- Artistic & creative ability to come up with innovative concepts so as to communicate the desired message with a high recall.
- Communication skills: He must have good communication skills so as to not only understand the client’s requirement and come up with an apt design but also sell the concept and design to the clients
- Computer skills: He must have competencies in specialized graphic design software.
- Time-management skills so as to adhere to deadlines while handling multiple projects.
For certification in Graphic Designing, the candidate must be at least 17 years of age and should have cleared his Class X exams from any recognized board.
Graphics Design Course
The students must do a certification course in “Advertising & Graphic” from a college that fulfills the following:
- The bulk of requirements for graphic designers usually come from the media and entertainment industry, hence the selected college must be recognized by the Media and Entertainment Skills Council, a not for profit organization promoted by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) with financial support from National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
- College must ensure world-class training center
- The college must offer exposure in various industries- advertising, gaming, Web/mobile app designing, pre & post-production so as to provide skills that will facilitate students to work in multiple sectors
- Competencies in computer skills as well as the use of varied software applications.
- College must ensure practical experience through live projects, participation in competitions, and Internships.
- Regular interaction with industry experts will ensure that the students are exposed to the current trends and hence on completion, of course, they are job ready.
- College must facilitate a strong work portfolio
- College must offer an additional career support curriculum to enhance competencies.